And now, on to the roundup.
– Jay Payton got a hit for the Rockies tonight. It was his first hit since a hit in the old Yankee Stadium.
– Jorge Posada of the Yankees got caught stealing tonight. It was his first caught stealing since 2004. (He doesn’t exactly try to steal a lot, as you can guess.)
– Carl Crawford was ejected from the Rays game for arguing with an umpire. His replacement, Reid Brignac, later hit a walk-off home run in what was a 1-0 game.
– The Orioles beat the Blue Jays. They are now 1-12 against the Blue Jays in 2010.
– The Rockies finally lost.
– the Braves’ Derek Lowe, and his 5.8 K/9 in 2010 (and career), struck out 12 Nationals in 8 innings. That’s a career high. This was only his third career game in which he struck out ten or more batters.
– Both the Yankees and Mets played 1-0 games – the fourth time in history that’s happened on the same day.
– Brett Myers has thrown 6+ innings in 30 consecutive starts. He’s only the eighth pitcher in 90 years to do that.
– Jeff Samardzija threw shutout baseball for nearly 6 innings. He entered tonight with an 18.30 ERA and hadn’t pitched in the majors since April.