There weren’t many games today and as of this writing, two of the games are still going on.
- The 40-year-old Mariano Rivera, who had shoulder surgery about a year and a half ago, routinely hit 95 MPH in his appearance today. He also walked someone!!!
- It’s June, and Brett Gardner has a higher SLG than Mark Teixeira and as many home runs as Jason Bay.
- In today’s Nationals/Astros game, the Astros’ Carlos Lee badly misplayed a ball with two out in the top of the ninth inning that allowed the tying and go-ahead runs to score off of Houston’s closer. Then, in the bottom of the ninth, Cristian Guzman of the Nationals – playing the outfield for some reason – made an error on a play that would have ended the game. This error allowed Carlos Lee to come up to bat, and he won the game with a walk-off home run.
- The Red Sox had 18 hits today – and lost. That’s the first time they’ve had that many hits in a game and lost since 1995. They got outslugged by, of all teams, Oakland and their current collective 90 OPS+. Oakland hit four home runs.
- We’re in the bottom of the third with one out in the Twins/Mariners game, and so far the Mariners have stolen five bases off of Mauer.